Leave the couch behind this Saturday
National Get Outdoors Day happening on June 8
While summer doesn't start officially for two more weeks, days are now long and warm — perfect for outdoor recreation.
As a bonus, this coming Saturday marks the 6th annual National Get Outdoors Day, a countrywide collection of events designed especially with kids and families in mind.
Various participating locales will have activities such as fishing, geocaching, camping skill demonstrations, hiking, rafting and more.
There will be opportunities to learn about nature as well as healthy living. Animal characters including Smokey Bear and Woodsy Owl will be on hand for photos, too.
Here is a partial list of National Get Outdoors Day places:
- Talladega National Forest — Munford, Alabama
- Mormon Lake Lodge Outdoor Festival — Mormon Lake, Arizona
- Stanisalus National Forest Pinecrest — California
- Dinosaur Ridge — Morrison, Colorado
- Ocmulgee National Monument — Macon, Georgia
- Dworshak Dam — Orofino, Idaho
- Dunes Learning Center — Chesterton, Indiana
- Great Plains Nature Center — Wichita, Kansas
- Hazel Outdoor Discovery Center — Eden, Maryland
- New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park — New Bedford, Massachusetts
- The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village — Dearborn, Michigan
- Pat Lamar Park — Oxford, Mississippi
- Lone Pine State Park — Kalispell, Montana
- Mt. Charleston — Near Las Vegas, Nevada
- Mount Morris Dam & Recreation Area — Mount Morris, New York
- Hanging Rock State Park — Danbury, North Carolina
- Delaware Lake State Park — Delaware, Ohio
- Bonneville Lock and Dam Cascade Locks — Near Portland, Oregon
- Lehigh Valley Zoo — Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
- Snowbird Resort — Near Salt Lake City, Utah
- Shenandoah River State Park — Bentonville, Virginia
- Rock Creek Park Golf Course — Washington, D.C.
- Curt Gowdy State Park — Cheyenne, Wyoming
Many government agencies, non-profit organizations and companies are participating and supporting National Get Outdoors Day, including the following: American Recreation Coalition; U.S. Forest Service; kids troubadour Joe Reilly; Coca-Cola; The Coleman Company; Airstream; American Hiking Society; American Quarterhorse Association; Boy Scouts of America; Girl Scouts of America; National Park Service; President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports; REI and Cabella's.
Screenshot courtesy of NationalGetOutdoorsDay.org