14 unexpected winter destinations
Sure, Florida, Hawaii and the Caribbean all have much to offer the traveler January through April, but how many coco locos can a person really enjoy? It’s a big world out there: All of the following destinations feature fewer crowds, intriguing culture and recreation – and, not least, lower prices.
Text by Eric Lucas | Photo editing by Mike Hipple
VIDEO ON MSN LOCAL EDITION
Why would I go to these places (most of them) for a winter vacation. Everybody knows how to avoid winter. Why not enjoy it. A couple of nights and cross country skiing at Minnesota's Superior National Forest at one of the Lodges on the Gunflint trail would tell you of winter. If you want winter, go winter.
- - If there is a warning, Click it and Select "Always Allow Pop-ups from This Site..."
- - Otherwise, try your toolbar or other Pop-up blockers.
TRACK FLIGHT STATUS
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Do you always take a summer vacation?
- Yes, it’s when the kids are out of school
- No, flight prices are cheaper in off-peak season
- 64 %Sometimes, but not exclusively