10 destinations that have rebounded from natural disasters
Whether with an earthquake, tornado, hurricane or fire, nature can unleash its power in devastating fashion. But as destructive as they are, such natural disasters can also bring out the best in human nature, as people and communities come together to rebuild their lives.
Text by Blane Bachelor | Photo editing by Connie Ricca
Joplin, Missouri had an EF5 tornado come through on May 22, 2011. Other natural disasters have come through several parts of the US. For instance Hurricane Sandy blew through New York. The people that were helping with that came to Joplin and asked what they needed to do to put a plan in place to make the rebuilding process go smoother.
Joplin's tornado killed over 300 people and left over 1800 people without homes.
- Southwest storms to aid wildfire efforts
An increase in moisture from the Southwest monsoon will fuel showers.
- Florida Lionfish ban, nation's first, goes into effect
- Oxygen-generating Mars rover to bring colonization closer
- Lightning sparks dozens of new California fires
- Record-setting drought intensifies in parched California
- Red tide invades warm Gulf waters, eyes Florida coast