Mountains from above
Aerial views of these peaks reveal some of Earth's most magnificent scenery.
Photo editing by Lia Pepe
Actually the Smoky Mountains are located in Tennessee/NC and are a part of the Blue Ridge chain which extends from Alabama all the way up the East Coast to Maryland. The picture looks like a location in North Georgia, but it's hard to tell exactly. One can usually identify the Great Smokies by the rain clouds which are a major part of the weather there. The Cherokee named this area "Place of Great Smokes."
The Appalachian Trail is located on the heights of this ridge of mountains and leaves the Blue Ridge at Roanoke River Gap.
- Western wildfires burn 300 homes
A massive wildfire in Washington state has burned 300 homes.
- Governor to tour tornado damage
- Alien smog: How pollution could help locate E.T.
- Earthquakes occur in 3 parts of Alaska
- Weekend storms to rattle Midwest, Mid-Atlantic
- Moderate quake strikes Alaska coast but little damage seen