17 gorgeous galaxies
Some of these galaxies look a little like colorful tie-dye experiments, others like Space Age Rorschach tests; you may even recognize a few from the posters that dotted your elementary-school science room. Take a moment and marvel at the scope and beauty of our universe in these stunning NASA images of the Milky Way and other galaxies.
Text by Chelsea Lin | Photo editing by Connie Ricca
If you get a chance, check out M42 in Orion and if your scope is good enough, you should be able to split the double stars.
- Doing the math on polar sea ice melt
Climate scientists try to determine whether the planet will reach a tipping point.
- Storm knocks out power to 250,000
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- Temperature swings, snowstorm risk to continue next week
- Bitter cold knocks invasive insects down but not out
- Recent California rain and snow too little, too late