Fascinating places in the solar system
Our solar system consists of one star, a set of planets and their moons, asteroids, comets, and rings. Since the invention of the telescope in the 1600s and the dawn of the Space Age in the late 1950s, we have explored these places and learned new things about our place in space. Let’s take a tour of the most fascinating places in the solar system, starting with our home planet.
Text by Carolyn Collins Petersen | Photo editing by Connie Ricca
- Old as dirt
Buried under Greenland's ice sheet is a soil born before humans ever walked on Earth.
- New ragweed allergy pill clears FDA
- Scientists find Earth-sized world in orbit friendly to life
- Peru's Ubinas volcano erupts
- Super-freezing winters could become the norm
- Spring snow slams areas from Duluth to Ontario