Fascinating places in the solar system
Our solar system consists of one star, a set of planets and their moons, asteroids, comets, and rings. Since the invention of the telescope in the 1600s and the dawn of the Space Age in the late 1950s, we have explored these places and learned new things about our place in space. Let’s take a tour of the most fascinating places in the solar system, starting with our home planet.
Text by Carolyn Collins Petersen | Photo editing by Connie Ricca
- Strong storms to threaten Philly, DC, Raleigh
Damaging storms forecast from North Carolina to Pennsylvania.
- Flooding swells Montana rivers, washes out roads
- US-Russian Space Station Crew Returns to Earth Tonight: Watch It Live
- Volcanoes Helped Antarctic Life Weather Ice Ages
- Weather delays return from space of Russian torchbearers, U.S. astronaut
- Powerful quake shakes California