Fascinating places in the solar system
Our solar system consists of one star, a set of planets and their moons, asteroids, comets, and rings. Since the invention of the telescope in the 1600s and the dawn of the Space Age in the late 1950s, we have explored these places and learned new things about our place in space. Let’s take a tour of the most fascinating places in the solar system, starting with our home planet.
Text by Carolyn Collins Petersen | Photo editing by Connie Ricca
- Governor to tour tornado damage
Flattened trees, flipped-over RVs and scattered tents await Virginia's governor.
- Alien smog: How pollution could help locate E.T.
- Earthquakes occur in 3 parts of Alaska
- Weekend storms to rattle Midwest, Mid-Atlantic
- Moderate quake strikes Alaska coast but little damage seen
- Fire season in West below expectations