Body of Pa. man killed by flooding is found
Severe rains have fallen in the region.
BEECH CREEK, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say the body of an elderly central Pennsylvania man swept away by flood waters earlier this week has been found.
State police in Clinton County say kayakers found the body of 86-year-old Claude Rupert on an island in Bald Eagle Creek on Saturday afternoon.
The Beech Creek resident was trying to retrieve an all-terrain vehicle when he was pulled into the swollen creek Thursday. Officials say 7 inches of rain fell in less than an hour in one part of the county.
Heavy late-week rain also brought flooding to upstate New York. An 87-year-old Fort Plain woman remains missing after her mobile home was lost to the rising waters on Friday.
Parts of Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio were under flash flood warnings for at least part of Sunday.
- Thunderstorms charge from Nebraska to Texas
The storms brought damaging winds and golf ball-sized hail.
- Dangerous tornado threat from Texas to Kansas this weekend
- Magnitude 6.6 quake off British Columbia coast
- New ways to visualize increasingly hot weather in US
- Antarctic lava lake huffs and puffs like a sleeping dragon
- Mars missions could make humanity a multi-planet species, NASA chief says