Best places to see rainbows
Celebrated in song, art, photography and legend, a rainbow is a simple optical separation of light by millions of water-drop prisms — a perfect example of the whole being greater than the parts. But, as Dolly Parton put it, “If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.”
Text by Eric Lucas | Photo editing by Connie Ricca
- The Polar Vortex Is to blame for this year's brutal allergy season
Those cold snaps helped spawn a spring allergy season so intense that it already has its own headline-ready nickname: the "pollen vortex."
- Saturn shines near the moon tonight: how to see it
- Spring snow over Minneapolis, Duluth
- Watch live: Scientists explore a mysterious deep sea world
- Hikers take to mountains for winter fix
- Men vs women: Whom does lightning strike more often?