Award-winning astronomy photography from around the world
Mark Gee, an Australian photographer, won 2013's Astronomy Photographer of the Year award from the Royal Observatory Greenwich and BBC Sky at Night Magazine. Here is a collection of some of the very best shots entered into the competition, organized by category, including the photo of the Milky Way which netted Gee his award: "Guiding Light to the Stars."
Text from Royal Observatory Greenwich
- Fire season in West below expectations
Wildfire forecasts for the West have not lived up to expectations.
- Strong storms threaten Raleigh, Augusta
- Tropical storm brings heavy rains to eastern China
- Severe storms to return to Oklahoma City, Dallas, Little Rock
- Typhoon weakens after landing in southeast China
- How the sun, moon and stars enable life on Earth