Award-winning astronomy photography from around the world
Mark Gee, an Australian photographer, won 2013's Astronomy Photographer of the Year award from the Royal Observatory Greenwich and BBC Sky at Night Magazine. Here is a collection of some of the very best shots entered into the competition, organized by category, including the photo of the Milky Way which netted Gee his award: "Guiding Light to the Stars."
Text from Royal Observatory Greenwich
- Southwest storms to aid wildfire efforts
An increase in moisture from the Southwest monsoon will fuel showers.
- Red tide invades warm Gulf waters, eyes Florida coast
- Rescuers in Indian landslide say hopes for survivors 'bleak'
- $11 million to support new water conservation for drought-stricken Colorado River
- Mud, rain hamper landslide rescue in India
- Tropical Storm Bertha approaches Caribbean