Award-winning astronomy photography from around the world
Mark Gee, an Australian photographer, won 2013's Astronomy Photographer of the Year award from the Royal Observatory Greenwich and BBC Sky at Night Magazine. Here is a collection of some of the very best shots entered into the competition, organized by category, including the photo of the Milky Way which netted Gee his award: "Guiding Light to the Stars."
Text from Royal Observatory Greenwich
#8 is my favorite. Wish I had some spare time to get back into astronomy. Would love to be able to take pic's like these.
#13 was probably a once in life time for Ignacio. Bet that took some time, research and coordination to capture. Very nice.
- Seen from space: Pacaya pops
Satellites share bird's-eye view of the volcano.
- Asteroid gives Earth super-close shave today
- Good wildflower blooms expected in Texas
- How the famous marshmallow study explains environmental conservation
- Drenching, gusty storms to hit Florida spring training
- As scientists watch, distant asteroid disintegrates